Bringing Back Old Recipes and Memories: Turkey Pesto Stuffed Bread

Every now and then an old recipe will pop in to my mind along with a memory to go with it. It's fun to bring that recipe back to life, especially if it was a favorite. There are many recipes that have been put on the back shelf, maybe because I'm always trying new recipes, or because our eating style has changed and a certain recipe just doesn't fit in to it anymore (of course it's fun to revamp them as well). 

One recipe I recently pulled out of the dusty archives was a stuffed bread that I first had over 15 years ago at a friends home after she and her hubby had just gotten married and were living in a single wide trailer on their property (they've since built a beautiful home). I remember taking home the recipe because it was so good and I made it many many times since then, but it has been quite a few years since it graced my kitchen. Last week it popped in to my mind and I thought "I need to make that again". So, on Thursday of last week, I put it together. It honestly did not take much time at all and I knew it would be a hit. My girls are serious pesto lovers. My hubby was out of town, so it was just the girls and I. My youngest and I ate our share and then brought my oldest and one of her co-workers each a plate at work. They polished the rest off for lunch the next day and I thought "hmmmm, I need to double this recipe", because I really wanted some more.

You could totally cheat and use frozen bread dough, kneading the dill and sesame seeds in once it's thawed, but it doesn't take long to put the dough together.

Bread Ingredients

1 1/4 c. warm water (110 degrees)
2 Tbs. sugar
2 Tsp. yeast
2 Tbs. butter, melted
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3 1/4 c. flour
2 Tbs. dill weed
2 Tbs. sesame seeds
In the bowl of a stand mixer, place water, sugar and yeast. Let stand till bubbly (about 10 minutes). Add butter. In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, dill and sesame seeds. With dough hook attached, slowly add in flour mixture and mix until it forms a nice dough ball. Knead just a bit, then place in a greased bowl. Place in a 200 degree oven (that has been turned off) covered with a towel and allow to rise until doubled. You can just rise it in a warm room but I find mine rises better in warm oven. My house is never warm enough. Remove from bowl and roll in to a 12x9 rectangle. Transfer to a baking sheet.

Filling Ingredients:

1 Tbs. olive oil
12 oz. ground turkey breast
1/4 c. green onion, chopped with tops (optional)
1 8oz tub cream cheese w/chive and green onion
A generous handful of fresh spinach, finely chopped
1/3 c. pesto sauce
1/4 c. fine bread crumbs

*Notes:
      1. I forgot green onions and did not add them. I honestly didn't miss it so feel free to leave out.
      2. The original recipe called for 1/2 of a 10oz. pkg of frozen spinach, but I try to use fresh ingredients when possible and I loved the flavor of the fresh. 

Instructions: 

1. In a skillet add olive oil, ground turkey and green onions and cook until done.
2. Remove from heat and add in remaining ingredients, stirring till well combined. 
3. Spread mixture down the center of dough in a 3" wide strip.
4. Make one inch cuts on each side. Moisten the end of each srip and alternate folding strips at an angle. 
5. Cover and let rise until double, about 30 minutes (again I did this in the warm oven)
6. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Brush tops with butter. Slice and serve.
Oh my! This is so wonderful. The bread would be great on its own as a savory loaf. This could also be made into individual portion sizes or even possibly in to smaller appetizer bites. 


With Joy UNquenchable,

Comments

Popular Posts