Recipe: Pumpkin Seeds

I have always loved pumpkin seeds, you, know, the kind you pull out of your halloween pumpkins each year and toast in the oven. I HATE the shell that surrounds the seed. Therefore my relationship with these popular October snacks has been a love/hate one. That is until several years ago when friends, who own a pumpkin patch, introduced me to a green pumpkin that forever changed my pumpkin seed making relationship. These pumpkins (I believe called Kakai) produce a hull-less seed just like you would buy in the store for cooking/baking. Say WHAT!!! I had to try them, and now I'm sold. 
I will say, it takes  A LOT of pumpkins to make a fair amount. It took me about 6+ pumpkins to fill a 4c. jar...and they don't last long, but they are so worth it. Snack on them, toss them on a salad, put in some chicken or tuna salad for an added crunch, sprinkle on top of a creamy soup...YUM.

I took my pumpkins, dropped them on the concrete of our porch to break them open (I didn't want to chance cutting the seeds). Then split them open and began removing the seeds...the bigger the pumpkin, usually the better. I had a few "younger" ones and the seeds were a little harder to remove. 


Ingredients:

2 c. pumpkin seeds
1 tsp. worcestershire sauce
1 1/4 tsp. kosher or sea salt
1 1/2 tbs. butter, melted

Instructions:

1. After removing seeds from pumpkins, rinse with cold water. I like to place mine on a clean dish towel and pat to remove excess water. 

2. Place in a bowl. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over seeds, stirring well.

3. Spread out on one or two large baking sheets. I don't like to overpack them on the pan so I use two pans. No need to grease. 

4. Bake in a 250 degree oven for 1-2 hours or until they are done. You are looking for them to puff up slightly and take on a darker color. 

With Joy UNquenchable,
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Comments

Popular Posts